Athlete Important Information(Click HERE to download a Printable copy of this Athlete Info)
Race NumbersThere are two race numbers in your race packet that you are required to display during the event.
BIKE: The bicycle frame number MUST be attached to your bike with the race number clearly visible from both sides of the bike.
RUN: The paper run number MUST be displayed during the entire run segment on the front of your body. Pin your run number to your shirt, swimsuit, or race belt with the four safety pins provided in your race packet. Do not cut, fold or alter your race number at anytime.
Body MarkingBody marking will take place from 5:15 – 6:45 am on race morning at the entrance to the Transition Area. You will NOT be permitted in the Transition Area without your body marked. If you plan on applying lotion or sunscreen to your body, please wait until after you have been body marked. BODYMARKING WILL CLOSE PROMPTLY AT 6:45 DUE TO THE OLYMPIC RACE STARTING AT 6:40. FAILURE TO BE BODYMARKED BY 6:45 MAY RESULT IN NOT BEING ABLE TO PARTICIPATE.
Swim CapsThe official swim cap found in your race packet MUST be worn during the entire swim. This cap is provided for your safety during the swim. Do NOT trade your swim cap with another athlete, as the caps are color-coded to assist race management. You must start in your designated swim wave.
Transition Check in/Bike
Only participants who have their timing chip and are body marked will be allowed access to the Transition Area. You must have your bike frame number attached to your bicycle before you’ll be permitted to bring your bike into the Transition area. TRANSITION AREA WILL BE CLOSED AT 6:45 AM DUE TO THE START OF THE OLYMPIC RACE. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR BIKE RACKED BY 6:45 AM AND LEAVE THE TRANSITION AREA. FAILURE TO HAVE YOUR BIKE RACKED BY 6:45 AM MAY RESULT IN NOT BEING ABLE TO RACE.
For safety reasons during the race, you are not permitted to ride your bike into or out of the Transition area. You MUST walk or run your bike while in the transition area. There will be marked mount and dismount lines. Please watch out for other athletes as you move through the transition area and follow the instructions of race officials and volunteers. Please do not bring any glass containers into the transition area.
All relay team members will have access to the Transition area. Relay teams must pass the timing chip to their teammates at their bike rack spot in the Transition area.
Each participant is required to wear an approved helmet during the bike segment. You MUST have your helmet securely fastened on your head before you mount and dismount your bike. Be sure to view the Rules listed below so that you do not receive a bike penalty.
Wetsuits and TempsThe use of wetsuits during the swim segment will be allowed if the water temperature on race morning is 78.0 degrees or less. If the water temperature exceeds 78.0 degrees but is less than 84.0 degrees, an athlete may wear a wetsuit but will not be eligible for awards or prizes. If the water temperature is above 84.0 degrees, wet suits are prohibited.
Packet PickupPre-Race Packet Pickup: (Athletes are strongly encouraged to pick up their packets early and attend the Info Clinic)
Mack Cycle & Fitness
5995 Sunset Drive
Miami, FL 33143
Friday, July 28th from 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Saturday July 29th from 10:00 am to 2:30 pm
First Timers and Info Clinic: 1:00 - 2:00 pm.
You must present a photo ID and current USAT membership card. Those participants that are not current USAT members will have to purchase a one-day license for $15.00 (CASH ONLY). Only the athlete who is racing can pick up their packet. ALL RELAY TEAM MEMBERS MUST BE PRESENT TO PICK UP THEIR PACKET.
Whether it's your first or twenty first race, you will learn valuable pieces of information to make your racing experience more rewarding.
We encourage all participants, especially first timers, to come to the race clinic to hear all the information for the race.
Race Day Schedule
|5:00 am||race site opens|
|5:15 – 6:30||race day packet pickup (FAILURE TO PICK UP YOUR PACKET BY 6:30 AM RACE MORNING MAY RESULT IN NOT BEING ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE RACE.)|
|5:15 – 6:45||Body marking and bike transition opens|
|6:30||Packet Pick Up Closes|
|6:35||Olympic triathletes will be grouped by waves at swim start|
|6:40||Olympic Triathlon begins|
|6:45||Transition closes to All Athletes – All bikes must be racked (including Sprint triathletes) FAILURE TO HAVE YOUR BIKE RACKED BY 6:45 AM MAY RESULT IN NOT BEING ABLE TO RACE.|
|7:05||***SPRINT RACERS SHOULD BE AT SWIM START 10 MINUTES PRIOR TO WAVE START TIME. WE WILL BEGIN WAVES 5 MINUTES EARLIER IF LAST OLYMPIC SWIMMER HAS EXITED THE WATER. BE SURE TO LISTEN TO THE ANNOUNCER Sprint Triathletes will be caroled by waves at swim start|
|7:15||***Sprint Triathlon begins|
|9:45||Bike Course Closes (Participants who continue on their own will assume all risk and must adhere to local traffic laws.)|
|WAVE #||START||DIVISION||CAP COLOR|
|Wave #2||6:42||29 & Under||GREEN|
|Wave #3||6:45||30 to 39||WHITE|
|Wave #4||6:48||40 to 49||YELLOW|
|Wave #5||6:51||50 & over
Clydesdale, Athena, AquaBike & Relay Teams
|WAVE #||START||DIVISION||CAP COLOR|
|Wave #2||7:17||39 & under||GREEN|
|Wave #3||7:20||40 & over||YELLOW|
|Wave #4||7:23||Women (Excluding Relay Teams)||PINK|
|Wave #5||7:26||Clydesdale & Relay Teams||WHITE|
|Wave #6||7:29||First Timers, AquaBike & Fat Tire
Swim: Participants will pass 1 aid station between the swim exit and the transition area.
Bike: Olympic participants will have a bottle exchange on the course. Sprint participants should carry enough liquid with them to complete their 14 mile bike course. Participants will hit an aid station immediately after exiting transition starting the run.
Run: Participants will pass 3 aid stations (double loop for Olympic=6) at each mile on the run course. One will be immediately after exiting the transition area.
Aid stations will includeWater
Due to the hot weather, you need to drink lots of fluids! You will have volunteers at the aid stations. Call out what drink you want.
This race will be USAT Sanctioned and all USAT rules will be in effect. Go to http://www.usatriathlon.org for a complete list of USAT rules. There are trained referees on the course to ensure fairness during the Competition. There will be NO WARNINGS if you violate a rule during the race. Participants must take personal responsibility to understand the rules and avoid penalties. All citations by the marshals are reviewed by the Head Referee following the race, who then decides if a penalty should be assessed. The Head Referee’s ruling is final in the case of position violations.
The most commonly violated rules are:
1) Helmets are mandatory while riding the bike (BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER the race). Helmet must be buckled or strapped on. This is a DISQUALIFICATION penalty.
2) Headphones are not allowed at any time. On the bike it is a DISQUALIFICATION penalty for endangerment. On the run it is a variable time penalty for Unauthorized Accessories.
3) No drafting will be allowed while on the bike. You must stay 3 bike lengths away from the person in front of you. You have a 15 second window to execute a pass.
4) Pass only on the left while on the bike.
5) No blocking - Stay to the right side except when passing.
6) Do no cross the yellow line around corners on the bike.
7) No outside assistance will be allowed in the transition area. You also may not have someone else pace you to the finish line on the run.
8) Handlebar ends must be plugged to lessen the chance of injury in a fall. This is a DISQUALIFICATION penalty. Please ask for a plug from one of the bike shop vendors.
9) You may not leave anything on the course (i.e. water bottles, gel wrappers, SWIM CAPS). Everything should return with you to the transition area or be disposed of at an aid station.
10) You must run or walk your bike out of and into the transition area. You may not ride in the transition area.
11) Your bike must be racked on the bike rack assigned for your race number. It must be racked either by the seat or brake levers.
12) You must wear your running race number on the front of your body during the run segment. Your bike number must be clearly visible at all times on your bike. You must also be body marked with your race number on both arms and thigh.
13) If you are allergic to the latex swim cap, please see the race referee prior to your swim start so that you won’t be penalized for not using it.
14) Athletes’ age groups are determined by their age on December 31st of the current year. This is a USAT rule so that you do not change age groups in the middle of the year.
Variable time penalties are 2 minutes for the first offense, 4 minutes for the second offense, and disqualification for the third.
Refund and Transfer PolicyBecause this is a 100% charity event, there are no refunds for any reason.
There are no person-to-person transfers.